Thursday, August 6, 2009

Communications Breakdown (Apologies to Zepplin)

I like Twitter. Really I do. It is a useful tool for keeping in touch with friends, getting headlines, and marketing. But that 140 character limit worries me. Attention spans and communication abilities keep shrinking. The time we dedicate to anyone thing at a time keeps shrinking. Movies are shorter. Our news channels have fifteen streams of data flying across the screen at all times. The ability to focus on one thing at a time seems to be vanishing. The train of thought reminds me of a quote from Martin Luther.(wikilink, just in case) "I have so much to do today, I need to spend another hour on my knees." The constant bombardment of information, the implied need to constantly multitask, and the call to condense our own output as much as possible makes serious focus on prayer for an extended period of time even more of an uphill battle than it is naturally. Prayer is communication. When our concept of communication has been reduced to "YO HOMESKILLET WHERE U @ DUDE?", what becomes of the prayer communications?

More of an raising awareness comment than a problem->solution comment. I'm guilty of it myself. A few thank yous, a few hey, I need help with this, and it's back out into the world. We all can use a reminder that God has no character limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment