Monday, May 2, 2011

The big news of the day

Last night, it was announced that Osama Bin Laden, the mind behind 9/11 along with numerous other attacks against Americans and American interests, had been killed by U.S. troops.  This is a major win in the war on terror, far from the end of it, but a major victory nevertheless.  Pres. Obama should be commended for continuing the hunt, and authorizing the mission.  The only knocks I'll give him is a few too many, well placed I's in the announcement speech, and a warning that this is not a campaign point. 

I personally am very torn over the news.  Osama was a murderer, a terrorist, and a figurehead who poured gasoline on the fire of war in the name of radical Islam.  Even still, he was a human being, one who, despite his actions was intentionally and lovingly created by God.  His actions broke numerous laws, all worthy of punishment, and as of this writing, the reports indicate he fought back during the raid.  The worldly side of me says he deserved it all.  The Christian side says wait a minute.  Judge not, let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.  Lucky for me, my wife had the same thoughts, and in her looking around, came across Deuteronomy 16:20 "Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land of the Lord you God is giving you."  By every definition I can think of, justice was served.  I'm glad I wasn't involved in the decision making or the actions.  I don't think we should be celebrating the man's death in and of itself, but we can celebrate the completion of a mission, the execution of justice, and the positive effects the event will have on the continuing war on terror.  We can celebrate the closure the event offers some of the families who lost loved ones on 9/11.  But to just jump up and down over Osama's death, and even to start making some of the jokes of questionable taste already just seems to be in very poor character. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment